What you should expect from a criminal defense attorney:
- The defense attorney must ethically and actively defend his or her client.
- The defense attorney must present all options to his or her client with recommendations and professional opinions.
- The defense must prepare his or her client completely for each step in the legal process, but also, the defendant must assist his or her attorney.
- The defendant must make sure he or she understands what the attorney is doing and why he or she is doing it before it is done.
- The defendant cannot wait until after the attorney presents the defense to inquire as to the course of action.
- The defense attorney must review all possible defense scenarios and evidence and interview all witnesses in support of the client’s case.
- The defense attorney must develop a theme to the defense. The theme is composed of a powerful defense strategy and a course of action to present reasonable doubt or otherwise minimize exposure or punishments.